I learned to juggle at the age of nine. Only three balls, and nothing fancy, but I can’t tell you how many times in my life juggling has a made for a smile or a silly chance to “impress”–I even made it onto an obscure web series because of my “talent” in juggling.
But crossing over that skill into real life? Not near as easy or impressive.
This page has always included my saying, “I work part-time in one world, freelance in another, try to write other things worth reading in another, and manage a household in yet another. I’m also a mom and a caregiver to an aging parent…and I strive to be present in my various relationships, including wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, friend…and whatever else I’m forgetting. I call it living the Juggle Struggle. Pretty much every day, I fall short.”
But these days it seems I have less to juggle. My son is getting older and more independent, and my mom has joined my dad in the next life.
Needless to say, I still find myself falling short.
I’ve learned, though, that it’s not about perfection; it’s about perseverance and grace. Lots and lots of grace. And the ability to remember the joy in life and laugh as often as possible (even if it means snorting. But not cocaine).
Bits and pieces about me…
- I am loyal to a fault. I think it might be the San Andreas Fault.
- I have had numerous jobs in my life—some of which include television production assistant, ice cream truck driver, cocktail waitress, high school English teacher, invigilator, and…writer.
- My two main phobias are of tight spaces and deep, dark water.
- I stay up way too late watching movies I’ve already seen. Numerous times.
- I would be so very lost without grace, mercy, and, of course, the greatest of these: love.
- I’m not a good favorite-picker, but my all-time favorite movie is It’s a Wonderful Life.
- I live with depression and anxiety. They’re both jagoffs.
- I am very easily distrac…
- Yes, I have a special voice that I use when I talk to my dogs. Don’t be a hater.
- I know I am truly blessed—even when life feels pretty sucky.
- I’m wild about dolphins, and I’m pretty sure they’re smarter than us.
- I have learned a bit late in the game that being broken open is better than keeping everything sealed tight.
- …I am a work in progress.
I hope you subscribe to or follow me on this journey. Some days I will share something on my heart and get on my soapbox or maybe tell a story about being at my wit’s end, but a lot is just me offering up a slice of life as I know it. You are welcome to leave a comment and let me know your thoughts!